CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

11 June 2006

Myrtle Beach officials say handicapped access has improved

Myrtle Beach officials say handicapped access has improved

Published Sunday, May 21, 2006

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (AP) - City officials say 45 of 149 beach access points are now usable by people in wheelchairs.

The city is being sued by a disabled activist who frequently sues businesses, cities and counties for failure to provide handicap access to buildings and other areas.

City spokesman Mark Kruea wouldn't talk specifically about the pending lawsuit, but said the city has spent more than $200,000 since last summer to add 14 wheelchair accessible points of entry to the beach.

The city also has increased the number of beach-going wheelchairs that it lets people use for free to 11, Kruea said.

The lawsuit, which is scheduled to go to mediation by the end of the summer, accuses the city of building a walkway with steps to the beach when it was previously a flat access route.

Other complaints include that the city's portable bathrooms lack bars for the disabled and that the city's handicapped parking is flawed because of drains, steep slopes and incorrectly drawn spaces.

Originally published:

Island Packet

No comments:

Post a Comment