04 May 2012

Devotion: Allow God To Lead You Out of the Desert When Illness Makes You Want to Give Up



I loved this quote from the devotion above. 
Living a life full of chronic illness we face daily struggles, infections, side effects, and life-risking choices more frequently than most people. When we hit that desert in our life, it is tempting to just sit down and say, “Lord, I can’t go another step. I am done.”
Rather than giving up, however, give in. Give in to accepting the strength God offers when your own is completely depleted. If you sit down in the desert and just give up, you will surely never feel the ocean breeze, see the power of the Lord in those waves. Keep on going until you reach the place where you can sit down and say, “Thank You, Lord. We made it. I have reached a place of joy despite the ache of my bones.”
How often do those of us with chronic illness(es) feel as if we are in a desert? I know many times I have felt as if the dry time would never end. But thankfully, God offered me the strength to continue going on because I gave in to His offer of not only strength but a feeling of renewal. Which makes perfect sense given what Isaiah writes, 
But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint. Is. 40:31 NKJV
Giving in is not always a bad thing. It just depends on who or what you are giving in to.

No comments:

Post a Comment