03 May 2012

Facing the Long Haul of Chronic Illness (from Rest Ministries)


Facing the Long Haul of Chronic Illness

One thing people tend to have a hard time with when they are diagnosed with a chronic illness is that it's a life-sentence generally, barring scientific advances or a miraculous healing. As such, the person who is newly diagnosed goes through a grieving process in many cases. And that is completely normal. The devotion begins:
Chronic illness is not a sprint–it’s a long haul. Hence the “chronic.” Sometimes that seems so hard to face. The fact that we can look at the future knowing that we may not improve, can bring those feelings of depression as we struggle not to be overwhelmed.
As Christians, we can look forward to the time when there will be no more crying, no more pain–but there are days when that seems so far from where we now find ourselves.
As I read Paul’s words above[Colossians 1:10-1], I see the reminder that as we grow in our knowledge of God and what He wants us to do, we are strengthened by His power, so we have endurance and patience to face the life ahead of us
Another thing to keep in mind, beyond these words, is that not only does God; who does not cause us to have the trials, but who allows the trials; is with us during each and every trying time that we face. He is right there with us, helping us through the trials of life. He picks us up when we cannot take another step. As 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 says,
9 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
God's grace in our weakness allows the power of Christ to rest on us.That power gives us the endurance and patience we need to handle our diseases in a way that  allows us to be able to hang in there for the long haul of our disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment